Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Keeper of Secrets

My Keeper of Secrets
by Beau Maysey 
You tell me all your best- kept secrets, all your sins and lies and stories,
Silent, still, I sit through them all, be it exciting, sad, or boring.
An explosion of words appears; is arranged on the page,
Everything we’ve ever discussed,
You go back and edit and use me again, rewriting and erasing in disgust.
We’ve shared all your painful memories, Remember the math test from heck?
You kept biting me in livid stress. Try not to be such a nervous wreck.
I’ve been with you through the happy moments,
Where I help you scribble a poem or two,
When the world is like me, too stiff, too bitter, writing is all people can do.
My days were starting to predict my end;
I was shorter than the sentences written;
My back end had been reduced to flat surface;
And my body, badly abused and bitten.
One day, we both snapped; you with another test.
Me, I was angry at your anger, stressed only at your stress.
And since we share such a solid bond, I also broke and cracked.
But you can simply piece yourself back together.
When snapped, I cannot be put back. Towards the trash can I fell with no wake.
No funeral, no crying, or heartache. Another of me, you place in your palm,
And, in new excitement, scribble along. But still those secrets I will keep,
As I deteriorate and into the ground I seep. Because I helped you write your song.
 I know you’ll never snap; you are too strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment